Most Online Today: 55
Most Online Ever: 138
(August 07, 2018, 09:44:58 AM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36
FicForums.Com is sponsored by:

Stun Guns, Pepper Spray and other personal safety items!

Author Topic: Which Was Your Favorite?  (Read 6071 times)

Offline DarknessKen

• Official Greeter, Fount of Useless Knowledge, Major Obvious
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 20
  • 20 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To DarknessKen
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Which Was Your Favorite?
« on: June 28, 2012, 12:37:44 AM »
So, which of the various pieces of the Stargate 'verse was your favorite? Was it a particular series, an episode, or even one of the films?
Saving the world, one typo at a time.

Offline DarknessKen

• Official Greeter, Fount of Useless Knowledge, Major Obvious
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 20
  • 20 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To DarknessKen
    • View Profile
Re: Which Was Your Favorite?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 12:39:07 AM »
And, I'll reply first. Just wanted to keep the topic and answer a bit separate.

For me, my favorite was definitely the first movie, Stargate. I don't know why, but I could never get into any of the follow on series as fully as I did the movie.
Saving the world, one typo at a time.

Offline jay21317

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:59:58 PM »
i hated universe i really did.

i personally loved the movies and sg1 and atlantis

personally i think they should have done something else now that atlantis is actually on earth

Offline Driver Jim Ohki

• Sir Talks Too Much; Dread Pirate; Jesus Christ Complex; Fire, Futa, Harem Fetish; Has Too Much Time To Kill; Master of Fire and All Things That Explode
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 24
  • 84 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Driver Jim Ohki
  • Fire! FIRE HA-HA! FIRE HO-HO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 11:12:57 PM »
Anything but Universe, in all truth.

The movie not so much, 'cause Kurt Russell as Jack O'Neil wasn't nearly as funny as richard Dean Anderson.
*  Driver Jim Ohki is the problem solver. Fire and sledgehammers: the cure all!

Easy there Chewie, the buttons are your friends.
Is weight going to be an issue?
Yessir.
Hmmm . . . shouldn't have had that piece of marvelous cake.

Offline michae1ange1o

• King of the Obvious Jokes, Debater of Sanity, Donater, Needer of the Air Conditioning, Overlord
  • I Donated!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
  • 84 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To michae1ange1o
  • Probing Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 02:43:28 PM »
I recorded the whole 'SG Universe' on my HDTV box thing, watched two episodes and deleted it. Atlantis was OK. SG-1 was the best with O'Neill, Mitchell was OK but you can pretty much tell the actor only got the part due to Farscape the same as the one who played Vala, Episode 200 was epic when it 'Easter egged Farscape.
Caution: May contain Nuts!

Offline Lydia Hood

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 03:44:15 PM »
My favorite SG is early SG-1 for sure, I say early as SG-1 until Mitchel came in and the whole Ori storyline, from that point on I was starting to loose interest, but the original first like 7 seasons or so until Mitchel & the Ori were good.

Atlantis a bit similar pattern in Atlantis... toward the end, like the last season or two it got less appealing, but the earlier were good. I would say really if I had to order from best to worse it would be: Early SG-1, Early Atlantis, Late SG-1, Late Atlantis, Universe.

Universe was really crappy they took the name and theme from Stargate and placed it on a "space opera" like BSG, it made for something which felt ALOT different than SG-1 or Atlantis had been and also vastly inferior.

The constant crew issues were annoying... the missions instead of missions which were about fighting the good fight often in SG-1 & Atlantis were survival missions to get necessary resources, there was lil to not contact or interaction with people outside the crew until well into the first season, and mostly those were rare and short, but still most of the situation were about survival and personal issues.

I hated that the series seem to be a sort of sci-fi dramafest where there were dramatic situations between the characters constantly.

I rather dislike BSG so that would tell how a SG themed story which looks like BSG would just annoy me.

It does show sadly that by the time they got to Universe they had a... highly probable lessening in writers quality, plus with the new BSG TV Show they wanted to exploit this new trend, ultimately Universe is a major failure and it will probably condemn the SG TV Series to Death.

With luck we might get a movie to conclude the SG-1 loop and one to close the SG:A loop... so basically dealing with the Wraiths, the Goa'ulds, possibly a last to deal with the Lucien Alliance... so possibly 3 new movies to complete all 3 series... or at least 2 new movies to complete the two worthy series.

Well so long as they get to it soon... if too many years are passing the actors might age a bit too much for retaking their roles.

One last note, like someone mentioned I prefer SG-1 to the Stargate Movie, if for anything the actors in it are more appealing. Kurt Russel as O'Neil was so-so. Same for whoever was playing Daniels, but however I did like Michael Shanks as Daniels. The addition of Amanda Tapping made a nice appealing female member which was smart, yet attractive, my only criticism is they made too much a mess of her love life... which truth be told... also happened to virtually all of the members of SG-1 & Atlantis... as well as Universe... but at least in the first two the romantic messes were with secondary characters often and not with primary characters like in Universe.

I mean sure there seem to have been something between Carter & O'Neil... but it was like in Universe with the strange triangle between the Geek Boy, Soldier Boy & the Politician's Daughter.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:47:37 PM by Lydia Hood »

Offline michae1ange1o

• King of the Obvious Jokes, Debater of Sanity, Donater, Needer of the Air Conditioning, Overlord
  • I Donated!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
  • 84 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To michae1ange1o
  • Probing Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:46:47 AM »
I thought Universe was more like Voyager crossed with Lost rather than BSG, they even seemed to steal some of the plotlines from Voyager. I saw a clip where an Alien ship attached itself to the Destiny and drained it's power, the exact same plot was used on a Voyager episode that I think was called the Swarm.
Caution: May contain Nuts!

Offline Lydia Hood

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 09:27:42 AM »
While I do admit you are right in some ways you need to understand the main difference, in BSG you have a constant drama relating to the people on the ship interactions, similar thing was found in Universe, Voyager had a bit of it, but it was still more like the rest of Star Trek series, a series of episodes which have as common the crew but which explore a vast number of scenarios, ultimately everything is linked by one core storyline but for most of the series that storyline is secondary to the events that happen during each episodes. in BSG & Universe the difference is you have one main storyline and that storyline is always primary you have small secondary ones like getting some food or water from planets or such but ultimately it gives the feeling that they are all small elements which are interwoven in the big "Survival Lost in Space" scenario that is Universe.

In Voyager while they did have to deal with such "Survival Lost in Space" in Universe the "Space Opera / Drama" is alot very important an element which is mostly alot less apparent in Voyager but that is omnipresent in BSG.

So ultimately they might have taken more of the base storyline elements from Voyager but the atmosphere of the show was alot more like BSG.

Offline Vassago

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »
I liked SG-1 all the way through, and while I had a bit of trouble adjusting to Mitchell when he came on I don't think he was as bad as some people make him out to be. Some people I know can't even say how he was bad, so I'm thinking they just don't like that their comfort zone was challenged. I liked the political issues and conflicts that came up (Tollan, Nox, Tok'ra, Pangarans, etc.) and the parallel worlds they encountered.

I liked the interactions between characters on Atlantis a bit more than I did SG-1, though. Probably because they each had back stories and emotional issues that came back often, whereas in SG-1 that only happened four or five times before it seemed to be forgotten for a multitude of seasons except for a passing comment or two.

Nor do I think Universe was as bad as a lot of people say. I liked it the least, yeah, but I quite liked Eli Wallace and Nicholas Rush in addition to the various character conflicts that happened throughout the show. In fact, I expected quite a bit more in the way of clashing ideals when I first saw it. A group of mixed civilians and military on a ship with little-to-no resources that they can't stop and barely understand? Yeah, I expected civilians to bitch and moan and whine about everything, military to come off as arrogant or frigid, and for there to be a LOT of ideological talk and conflicts.

I'd have to say I don't have one favorite. Each had their pros and cons.

Offline ColinRes

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 05:50:22 AM »
It's not my favorite, but I have a soft spot for SG Universe. I was so bummed out when it was canceled. I felt like it was on the cusp of getting good towards the end of the second season.

FicForums.Com

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 05:50:22 AM »

+-Recent Posts

'Completed Only' checkbox doesn't work on Advanced Search by MrLore
January 13, 2019, 05:23:56 PM

Re: Discussion Thread for Rose/Harry Potter - Settling the Goblins' Debt by cateagle
December 21, 2018, 02:27:36 PM

Re: Discussion Thread for Rose/Harry Potter - Settling the Goblins' Debt by slyfer101
December 19, 2018, 06:38:51 PM

Re: Discussion Thread for Rose/Harry Potter - Settling the Goblins' Debt by cateagle
November 30, 2018, 06:56:08 PM

Re: Discussion Thread for Rose/Harry Potter - Settling the Goblins' Debt by slyfer101
November 19, 2018, 07:50:56 AM

Re: Which Was Your Favorite? by ColinRes
October 27, 2018, 05:50:22 AM

October 20, 2018, 12:41:15 AM

Re: Discussion Thread for Rose/Harry Potter - Settling the Goblins' Debt by Magic
October 12, 2018, 02:22:15 AM

September 30, 2018, 05:02:23 PM

September 26, 2018, 12:42:59 AM

+-Recent Topics

'Completed Only' checkbox doesn't work on Advanced Search by MrLore
January 13, 2019, 05:23:56 PM

Discussion Thread for Rose/Harry Potter - Settling the Goblins' Debt by cateagle
December 21, 2018, 02:27:36 PM

Which Was Your Favorite? by ColinRes
October 27, 2018, 05:50:22 AM

Voldemort's Name by Ravenic Tauro
September 14, 2018, 07:55:41 PM